Welcome to the History Department
Why We Should All Study History
A survey of employers conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, and edited by the American Historical Association, shows the following:
Top 10 Skills Employers Seek in College Graduates
- Making decisions and solving problems
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing
- Obtaining and processing information
- Analyzing quantitative data.
- Technical skills related to the job
- Using computer software
- Creating and editing written reports
- Selling and influencing others
Studying History teaches you all of these, which add up to an education preparing you for a range of futures in business, law, government, teaching, philanthropies, and more. History prepares you for an amazing range of fulfilling careers!
The History Department offers curricula leading to either a B.A. or a B.S. degree in History. Want to be a teacher? You can earn a secondary-education endorsement at Iowa State.
Graduate program options include a Master of Arts degree (MA) in history and a Ph.D. in Rural, Agricultural, Technological, and Environmental History.