Iowa State University’s PhD program in Rural, Agricultural, Technological and Environmental (RATE) History is pleased to invite applications for a 6-year, fully-funded PhD fellowship in Indian Ocean World and Middle Eastern Environmental History. Iowa State University is a partner with McGill University’s Indian Ocean World Centre and an international team of more than twenty universities and centers across the globe. Our project, “Appraising Risk, Past and Present: Interrogating Historical Data to Enhance Understanding of Environmental Crises in the Indian Ocean World,” has been awarded a 2.5 million-dollar (Canadian) partnership grant by the Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
In support of this project and the partnership’s Middle East team, Iowa State University seeks a PhD student specializing in Environmental History with one or more of the following research interests and skills:
- Geographical Foci: Late Ottoman Empire, the Modern Middle East, the Arabian Peninsula, the Persian Gulf, South Asia, and/or trans-regional projects connecting the Middle East with other regions in the Western Indian Ocean, including East Africa and South Asia
- Time Period: 18th-Late 20th centuries
- Language Skills: We are especially interested in receiving applications from students with native fluency or advanced competencies in Turkish/Ottoman Turkish, Arabic, Persian, and/or South Asian languages. However, we also welcome research interests based on English and European colonial archival sources.
What We Offer:
As part of this prestigious international grant project and generously funded fellowship, the prospective student will receive the following package of support:
- With generous support from the ISU Department of History, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Office of the Vice President, this fellowship will provide six years of guaranteed funding (dependent on satisfactory progress to degree).
- The student will receive an annual stipend of approximately $25,000 (12-month appointment).
- Health insurance
- Tuition Waiver
For further information and application details, see: https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=57213